If my adult children’s father has only days to live, what rights do they have?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my adult children’s father has only days to live, what rights do they have?

His girlfriend has POA until his death and has taken total control of everything including the funeral. What steps do they take to find out about life insurance policies, bank accounts, etc.?

Asked on December 27, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your children's best option is to find out as much as they can from their father before he dies.  This is because some life insurance companies wait for the beneficiiaries to come to them to collect.  Also, any bank accounts with pay-on-death provisions are not going to seek out beneficiaries either; they need to bring the death certificates to the bank.  If the girlfriend has prearranged the funeral, they need to talk to the mortuary about getting copies of the death certificate.  Once he dies, if there are assets that must go through probate, the children can hire an attorney to represent them in probate court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption