If my H1B is being filed, can I travel to Canada?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my H1B is being filed, can I travel to Canada?

My company is filing for my H1B this year with COS. I understand that it is not recommended to leave the country once the application is filed. However, is it OK to travel to Canada if all of my H1B paperwork will be

prepared by that time and my application would be in mail?

Asked on March 5, 2019 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If it is a change of status that is being filed and you travel w hile it is pending, the cos will be denied as abandoned and you will either need to go for consular processing if the petition is approved or you will have to have your employer refile as a COS once you are back in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption