How do I know if I’m I eligible for dual citizenship?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I know if I’m I eligible for dual citizenship?

My father is a dual citizen American and Canadian and my mother is Canadian. I am a 22 year old Canadian citizen. My grandmother was a landed immigrant to Canada from the United States and thus all her children became dual because she married a Canadian citizen my grandfather. My dad currently works and resides in the U.S. and has so for about 5 years. I am currently abroad for school but I live with my mom in Canada. I’m wondering if it is at all to get American citizenship from my father being a dual citizen, if that would extend to

me somehow.

Asked on March 2, 2019 under Immigration Law, Michigan


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You will need to check to see whether your father passed his US citizenship to you and that woul depend on how many years he had spent in the US and at what age.  All this information can be searchable on USCIS website.  If you need specific assistance with claim to US citizenship and to determine eligibility, feel free to contact me directly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption