What to do about something called a “small estate affidavit’?

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about something called a “small estate affidavit’?

My father passed 7 years ago. My mother and I were recently looking through some old paperwork and found that he had stocks. We called and the company and it sent us paperwork to fill out and send back, however we are unsure of what is a small estate affidavit and we also do not know the amount of the stock. How do we get this and do we have to obtain a lawyer?

Asked on October 9, 2014 under Estate Planning, Illinois


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A small estate affidavit would be a statement by your mother has to why your father's will/estate was never probated, probably because the estate was so small.  Or if you live in a community property state where when someone dies and is survived by a spouse, the spouse automatically gets everything.  If it is a publicly traded company stock, you can look up the price at Yahoo! Finance - just put in the ticker symbol.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption