What should i do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should i do?

Ive been working at 711 for the past 3 years. I’ve had the same schedule for a long time 5 days but it changed to 4 days and my hours were cut. About a year and a half ago, a co-worker quit with only a few days notice so the manager was desperate for me to cover those days. I told the assistant manager that I would work those days but to give me back my 5 days. I had her sign an agreement stating that my schedule will be left alone, no changes what so ever shall be made. Well, she got let go and there’s a new manager. My hours have been cut. Is that agreement now voided because she no longer works there? I’m very pissed about it Im back to 4 days. What should I do?

Asked on January 8, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless it was an actual contract for a set or defined period of time (e.g. a one-year, two-year, etc. contract), it was not binding on the employer (7/11) and did not keep them from cutting your hours. Employment in the U.S. is "employment at will": your hours may be cut (or you job changed in any way; or you be suspended or terminated) at any time, for any reason except if there is a contract for a defined period of time locking in the terms of your job for the duration of the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption