What to do if my ex-wife won’t help pay for medical expenses for our child?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-wife won’t help pay for medical expenses for our child?

My ex-wife agreed to 50/50 medical expenses on day one. Now 16 years later she still doesn’t help out with the bills. For the last 3 years I added up over 18,000 in medical charges. I took her to court for contempt twice but they just slapped her hand and no results.

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

And the agreement from day one was your divorce agreement, correct?  Well that is a contract and you can sue based upon that contract.  So consider suing her for the money and the breach and obtaining a judgement against her for the money already expended.  Once you have a judgement then you can execute on it in any way that the law allows in your state: levy, lien garnishment - what ever.  If you hit her in the pocketbook then maybe she will wake up and smell the coffee.  I hope that you have good bookkeeping records as to the matter.  You will need all those receipts.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption