Can my husband have me put out just because the house is in his nameand he owned it before we married?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband have me put out just because the house is in his nameand he owned it before we married?

I and my husband moved in together (his house in his name) in 2002. We married in 07/05. He gets Social Security Disability and I had become disabled in 2005 as well. I never filed for Social Security because they told me it’s just more paperwork since we’re married. We are now separated and I have a Temporary Order of Protection against him. Court for the permanent order is in 2 days and I would like to know whether or not the judge could actually put me out with my 3 children. My husband has threatened this on numerous occasions, stating how I won’t get any part of this house because he owned it before we moved in. Also, do you think the judge will take into consideration how long we’ve lived “as married” or just married? (There was no pre-nuptial agreement). I also need to know if he can be forced by the judge to keep me on his Social Security Disability (force to hold off on divorce & live separately), as he didn’t want me to work and now I am unable to work due to multiple collapsed lung.

Asked on August 11, 2010 under Family Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You have multiple issues going on that only a sit down with a family law attorney will help you sort out.  The short story is under most laws, you have a short term marriage and therefore many of the protections and privileges you would be entitled to in a long term marriage are simply not available for you.  If your husband owed the home before your marriage and only used his salary to pay for any expenses and you did not commingle accounts, then under the doctrine of equitable distribution which Tennessee follows, you may not be entitled to the home. Each of your disabilities would be taken into consideration.   If you have minor children, there might be some minor support implications but if these are his step children and he has not adopted them, it may be difficult to force the court to obtain any support for this children.  Further, if he earned any of his social security benefits while you were married and not separated or intending to divorce, there may be some amount available to you but again those formulas and entitlements would be based on a court analysis of the length of your marriage, assets owned separately and jointly and the like. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption