What will happen if my ex was found guilty of sexual abuse 2nd degree and is now trying to get custody of our son?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if my ex was found guilty of sexual abuse 2nd degree and is now trying to get custody of our son?

What rights do I have? Can he get custody with those charges?

Asked on September 11, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to oppose custody and can fight for sole custody on the basis that he has been convicted of a felony, and especially a sexually related offense.  The fact that he has been convicted of sexual abuse is not a guarantee that you will get exclusive custody, but it significantly helps the situation.  Most courts discourage the exposure of children to felons convicted of this type of offense.  If the sexual abuse charge was related to the abuse of a child, you may have an additional basis for the termination or strict restrictions of his parental rights.  If you still want him to have access to the child, petition the court for supervised visits only.

You also want to make sure that your end is solid.  Be able to show stability in your home, a good living environment, access to good schools,....anything that shows that you are a more responsible parent.  A two prong approach to your case will increase your chances of gettign custody.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption