If the water pipes in my rental burst and destroyed my 35 year record collection, ismy landlord responsible?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the water pipes in my rental burst and destroyed my 35 year record collection, ismy landlord responsible?

Asked on July 29, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should make a claim under your landlord's homeowner's insurance policy if there is one in effect for the damage to your record collection. If you have renter's insurance, you should do the same under your own policy.

For your landlord to be liable for negligence for water pipes bursting in the rental you have to prove that he or she was on notice of a possible problem with the pipes and failed to make repairs in a timely fashion. If the pipe burst out the blue the chances of holding your landlord responsible for your damages record collection seems remote. Perhaps talking with your landlord about what happened to see what he or she might do to compensate you would not hurt.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption