If my ex was court ordered to remove her property from my home over 6 months ago but has not, mayI sell it?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex was court ordered to remove her property from my home over 6 months ago but has not, mayI sell it?

She left a boat and trailer behind. Do I have rights to it? We were not married.

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a court order requiring your "ex" to remove her proeprty from your home six (6) plus months ago and this has not been done, you cannot sell it without the possibility of a legal action in return. I suggest that you file a petition with the court where the order was issued that the property is to be removed from your home and ask the court to issue an order to show cause for contempt of the court order mentioning that the property is still there.

In your petition, you should also ask of the issuance of attorneys fees for the time and effort that will be going into this petition assuming that you have an attorney representing you. If you do not have an attorney, retaining one would be a good idea. I suggest a family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption