What to do about medical malpractice?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about medical malpractice?

My ex-husband spent almost 2 weeks in our local hospital, they had no idea what was going on. They put him on fluids and antibiotics. He had been sweating and fevered for two days with his lower left leg throbbing and swelling. I was there when two of the doctors on staff checked on him. They didn’t touch him! They did x-rays and blood work but his left leg was so swollen it started to “peel” like. On the last day, the 9th day he (my ex-husband) told the staff he wanted transferred to a hospital in Louisville Ky. He got pneumonia, the staff at the Louisville hospital said his leg was ready to explode, they should have sent him sooner. I took care of him for two weeks. He didn’t work for 7 weeks. Do we have a case?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have no claim for what you have written about because you were no longer married to your "ex" when the problem arose. Whether or not he has a possible malpractice action depends upon a review of his medical records and an expert opinion by a health care person stating that the treating facility and physicians fell below their standard of care as a health care practioner in the given community.

For that your "ex" needs to consult with a medical malpractice attorney and retain a medical malpractice expert to evaluate the claim for liability and damage purposes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption