What to do if the doctor’s receptionist gave my blood test results to my husband without my permission?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the doctor’s receptionist gave my blood test results to my husband without my permission?

She also discussed an issue with the results of one of my medical tests with him. This was all done without my knowledge or permission. Is this a breach of patient confidentiality?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Malpractice Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, the nurse seemingly  at first blush violated state HIPPA laws by breaching the medical confidence of a patient with a third party IF the patient did not want such information given. However. when it comes to matters between spouses, the HIPPA requirement is much more relaxed given financial obligations that married couples have with the other.

I would mention the issue to your treating physician and the nurse but given the fact that the information was given to your spouse, I do not see a HIPPA violation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption