Who is cinsidered to be someone’s next of kin?

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is cinsidered to be someone’s next of kin?

My boyfriend lives and takes care of his great aunt for the past 10 years. She is his great aunt through his stepfather and his stepfather is deceased. She has no Will, has a house and possessions. She has a nephew and great niece alive as well. If she dies, who is next of kin? Would my boyfriend have any legal ground for inheriting the house?

Asked on September 26, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Did his step father adopt him?  If he did not then he would not be considered a beneficiary under her intestate estate - if she dies with out a Will.  If she wrote a Will and left the house to him then that is a different story entirely.  That is the way to go.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption