If my boyfriend and I were in a car accident and the girl that hit us didn’t have car insurance, what can I do about my hospital bills?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriend and I were in a car accident and the girl that hit us didn’t have car insurance, what can I do about my hospital bills?

My boyfriend was driving and I was the passenger. My boyfriend and I both had back injuries but I had to get staples in my knee. Due to the fact that the other girl didn’t have insurance we couldn’t go to therapy. Can I sue her for my hospital bills and the week that I couldn’t work due to the injuries? Or do I have to go to my boyfriend’s insurance and claim?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) You can sue another driver for medical costs, lost wages, and, for more serious injuries, pain and suffering (e.g. if you've faced a period of disability). The other driver would only have to pay if she were at fault--for example, she was driving carelessly or  negligently (speeding; going through stop signs or lights; texting or using a handset phone while driving; DUI or otherwise impaired; etc.). If the other driver was not at fault, even if you sue her, she will not have to pay.

Also, note that if she doesn't have insurance, you can only recover money directly from her--so if she also has little income or assets, even if you win, you might not recover anything.

2) Your boyfriend's liability insurance would most likely not cover you, as his passenger. However, if you're going to be talking to an attorney about suing the other driver, it would be wortwhile to see if you could claim under it. Note however that even if you could, to do this would likely mean suing your boyfriend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption