If my attorney pocketed settlement money, what are my legal options?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my attorney pocketed settlement money, what are my legal options?

After my attorney won my lawsuit my attorney took out $19,000 from my settlement to pay for my $19,000 in medical bills I just realized from the receipts that the medical center sent me for payment only adds up to $10,000. It seems that my attorney made a deal with medical center to only pay $10,000 and the medical center has it as paid in full. I know that that $9000 is my money not my attorney’s. Iow do i get that money from the attorney? Is there a statue of limitations; the case is from 7 years ago?

Asked on November 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is possible that what may have occurred is that some of the medical bills may have been paid by insurance and that is why the balance was ten thousand instead of nineteen thousand.  The attorney should have contacted the medical provider to verify the final balance before writing a check to the medical provider for the presumed total.  You should contact the attorney and request an accounting.  If the matter is not resolved with the attorney, you can contact your State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption