Mississippi Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Changing your name is a relatively simple task that is mostly a matter of completing the proper form and filing it with the chancery court clerk where you live. If you would like to change your name in Mississippi, we can help get you started with the following information:

What forms are required for a Mississippi name change?

The State of Mississippi does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Mississippi Code for more details: MS Code (Courtesy of Lexis-Nexis) Click on the Code on the left side of the page, then “Title 93- Domestic Relations,” then “Chapter 17,” then the first section. 93-17-1

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Mississippi?

The completed forms must be filed with the chancery court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Mississippi?

Check with your local courthouse.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local courthouse.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local courthouse.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption