Delaware Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Changing your name in Delaware is a relatively simple process that you can do on your own. In Delaware you must start by publishing a Notice of Name Change in a local newspaper. Then, it is mostly a matter of completing and filing forms and paying a fee. The information here will provide you with simple answers to common questions about the name change requirements.

What forms are required for a Delaware name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Delaware:

  • Petition for Name Change
  • Affidavit
  • Notice of Name Change for Publication

These forms can be found on the Delaware Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Delaware?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the court of common pleas in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can generally notarize the Petition for Name Changefor free when you bring it to court. Many times your bank will offer notary services for free as well.

Is there a filing fee in Delaware for a name change?

Yes. The fee is $50. A fee waiver may generally be obtained using the Fee Waiver form with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper? Yes. The Notice of Name Change must be published at least once a week for three weeks before the Petition is submitted.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption