Landlord and tenant. One of the maintenance men made a negative comment about my kids room-they are special needs and handicapped. What are my rights

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Landlord and tenant. One of the maintenance men made a negative comment about my kids room-they are special needs and handicapped. What are my rights

Maintenance made a comment that my son’s bedroom looked like something from the movies and said that it was sloppy to my face. My kids have special needs and I had to put panels to the windows we stay on the 9th fl. Is this discrimination. Aside from that they deactivated my key fob to let me into the garage, this makes it 3x as hard for me to get around w/both of my children, this cost was suppose to be included in my rent which I paid in full. What are my rights as a tenant? I would like to sue them for the inconvenience and discrimination?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Personal Injury, Ohio


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

As far as the FOB key:  If that was provided for you in the lease, then the landlord in in breach of lease to the extent that he has failed to provide it to you.  If he did provide it and then took it back, then you need to write a letter to him showing the right to the key in the lease and telling him you want it back or you will withhold rent as a result of his breach of lease.  As far as the discrimination claim, you do not have a right to sue for the maintenance guy's comments.  While rude and offensive, he has a right to make these comments.  It is unfortunate that this person acts this way, but there is not a whole lot you can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption