Know my pay?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Know my pay?

We recently reorganized and I was
moved to a new role that I did not need
to apply for. I was told early on that
this job would be a higher level and
have commensurate higher pay.

I have been doing that newer job and
told by my manager I can use the title.
However HR has not confirmed my

Do I have the right to know my salary?

Asked on May 1, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You will clearly know it when they pay you: you will be able to determine it from your pay stub or statement.
However, if they are going to change your salary, they do not need to tell you until and unless the change goes through; and unless you had a written employment contract guarntying you a new, higher salary effective as of a certain date, the employer may delay changing or salary or even refuse to do so (i.e. they can go back on what they previously said or promised). Only a written contract guarantees you a given salary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption