Joint mortgage, quit claim deed, bankruptcy after divorce – how does that affect spouse’s credit who currently “owns” the home?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Joint mortgage, quit claim deed, bankruptcy after divorce – how does that affect spouse’s credit who currently “owns” the home?

Home was purchased after marriage in community property state, joint with husband. During divorce, husband signed quit claim deed and divorce decree states property goes to wife, but loan remains joint. Ex-husband then files for bankruptcy after divorce is final. What are the ramifications to the ex-wife, if any? (credit, etc?) Is he required to list that debt since it is an “asset”?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


GW, Member, Michigan and Hawaii Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should discuss this matter with your divorce lawyer. You may have some remedies in divorce court. You need to make sure that the mortgage gets paid. If the mortgage does not get paid, you will lose the house. While the foreclosure should not show up on your credit report (assuming the loan was only in the ex-husband's name) the lender has the right to foreclose if the loan isn't paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption