can i go to jail for a class a mistimener?do i need a defence attourny to see a magistrate?

UPDATED: May 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i go to jail for a class a mistimener?do i need a defence attourny to see a magistrate?

Im being charged with domestic battery ,but during the time i was on a medication that was given me a bad reaction which made me aggressive and this is my first offence. Do i have anything to worry about?

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Criminal Law, Indiana


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

A class A misdemeanor is one of the more serious misdemeanors and should be taken seriously, especially becasue it is a domestic case.  You will probably be required to see a family relations advisor to discuss the situation.  The state's attorney is gong to be tough on you unless the family relations advisor gives him a good report from talking to you and/or your girlfriend.  I suggst that you hire a lawyer to help you as this is your first offense and you ant to keep your rcord clean.  A domestic case is something you want to go at yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption