Is there anyway to not leave and stay?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anyway to not leave and stay?

I am 16, and my family is attempting to move to Canada permanently from
Springfield, Missouri. I have my reasons of course for not wanting to leave. I am
wondering if it is possible to stay here, even though they are leaving. Of
course, it would not be with my parent’s permission or approval. If there are any
possible options, I would love to know them, thank you.

Asked on February 27, 2018 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that you are talking about emancipation.  The state of Missouri does not have laws that permit emancipation of minors.  The legal age of majority is 18.  I guess if your parents consented to you staying with an adult they trusted you could stay.  BUt otherwise, you are still obligated to go where they go. Change can be hard, but it not always bad. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption