Can I extend my H1B beyond 6 years using an approved I-140 from my previous employer?

UPDATED: May 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I extend my H1B beyond 6 years using an approved I-140 from my previous employer?

Also, how much time I am left with before I consume the 6 years on H1B based on my case?

Asked on May 28, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The duration of your stay under your H1B visa in the United States is three years ordinarily but you can extend it for six additiona years if you submit an I-140 petition or a certification for work prior to your fifth year in the United States. In such a situation you can renew your H-1B visa in one or three year blocks until the INS renders a final decision on your desire to be permanent resident here.

I sugegst that you consult with an immigration attorney in your locality for assistance. One can be found on

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption