Is there anything i can do about my ex having our 6 month old son around someone I don’t know?

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything i can do about my ex having our 6 month old son around someone I don’t know?

I have a order for custody in place,and my ex and I have a verbal agreement that no significant others will be around our son unless we have met them first. He took our son on Tuesday and told me it would just be him but his girlfriend was there taking care of my son.

Asked on March 15, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a restraining order immediately seeking full and sole custody of your son and no visitation without your supervision and only of your ex. Further, you need to file the restraining order to ensure she is not going to be near your son. This is something you should not sit on because while she may be harmless, you have no idea and your son is not of an age to care for himself or communicate any issues that may come up (neglect, abuse, etc.). I would start to research her a bit more as well. With the internet, you can certainly find out a lot more about someone than they would like but it will at least help you decide if she is harmless or potentially dangerous. The verbal agreement you have is unenforceable and you should seek to amend the custody order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption