Is there any way to use the initial payment amount of a structured settlement involving a minor child?

UPDATED: May 20, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way to use the initial payment amount of a structured settlement involving a minor child?

My 9-year-old severely injured her knee on a trampoline at a friends house. Homeowners insurance is paying 155K over 10 years with initial amount of 25K. We were told that the first payment could be used to benefit her and the family for all that we have been through (i.e. Disney World). In the paperwork that we have received though, all money used must be approved by the courts. We have all missed out on things due to this injury and do not want to have to wait until she is 18 to start making things up to her. What can we do? Injury happened in FL – we now live in AL

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Personal Injury, Alabama


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There are companies out there that will buy your structered settlement payment and give you the money now as opposed to waiting till she is 18.  however, the money that will be given is a disounted value based on the present value of the money that will be paid out - if that makes sense.  For instance, the 155K over 10 years may equal 70K today in a lump sum.  Furthermore, most courts that permit the transfer of structured settlements will require you as the guardian to show why there is such a need to get her the money now as opposed to when she is 18.  Based on her age, i doubt that you would be able to convince the court as this money is best used to pay for her college edu and a down payment on a condo to live in while in school in AL or whereever she goes.  I can reccomend a company called "Singer Asset Finance Company, LLC."  the can take care of you, but i am not sure if the court will approve the transfer.  good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption