Is there a possibilityof appeal after being sentenced if you plead guilty due to bad legal representation?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a possibilityof appeal after being sentenced if you plead guilty due to bad legal representation?

I am looking for any help to try to find a way for my little brother to appeal a 22 year sentence based on the fact that we all feel he was represented poorly. I am also open to any other avenues that may be used to at least decrease his sentence.

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Well that is a sticky situation.  First, I have no knowledge of the crime he was facing, the plea deal, and the evidence against him.

That said, most states allow a defendant to withdraw his guilty plea if it was made under duress or some uniformed reason.  This is usually an uphill battle because he waives these rights usually in his written plea and before the judge.

The other avenue, would be to appeal the effectiveness of counsel.  That means, the defendant, or a new attorney has to file an appeal and allege that defendant recieved ineffective assisstance of counsel.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption