What can we do if my son was riding a bicycle on a road with no sidewalks and a US postal vehicle hit him and kept going?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if my son was riding a bicycle on a road with no sidewalks and a US postal vehicle hit him and kept going?

She (postal employee) stopped about 30 feet later after hearing my son yell. She got out, asked him if he was alright. He said no, it hurt his privates (he is 17). She did not respond, then left and kept delivering mail. I got a call from him. He said he was alright but the bike was bent and his privates (nuts) hurt. His brother was about a football field in front of him and saw him in the road next to her car. He was also on a bike. I made a police report. They said nothing could be done. I told the post office who it was, they said they would call me. It is actually the lady that always delivers our mail on our road. Is this normal?

Asked on December 9, 2015 under Accident Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not the police will press charges, you have the right to sue the Post Office for the cost to repair his bicycle and for any medical care he needs. But it is more complicated and challenging to sue the government than a private party, so unless it's a fairly considerable amount of money, it may not be worth the time, cost, and effort. 
In terms of otherwise (without suing) getting some response, if the post office doesn't get back to you and respond to your satisfaction, try going over the local office's head to the regional office; also try contacting your local Congressman's office and asking for help as a constituent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption