Is there a legal way to remove my siblings from the deed to our house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a legal way to remove my siblings from the deed to our house?

My house is owned by myself and my siblings, left to us by my parents. My brother and I live in it. We pay the taxes on it. If he passes, does his part go to his children? If so, how can I prevent it? What can I do to have the others removed from the deed. I expect problems from his children when he passes. Some of my siblings, that don’t live here, would relinquish their part but hesitate because of my brother.

Asked on February 21, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can buy them out, if they will sell to you at a mutually agreeable price; otherwise, you can't make other people give up their ownership interest in property. You need them to agree to sell--or give; the can give their interests to you for free, if they want--their interests voluntarily. You cannot compel them to give up their interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption