Is there a law in Pennsylvania for amount of time an employer has to reimburse an employee

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a law in Pennsylvania for amount of time an employer has to reimburse an employee

My wife has been waiting several months
for reimbursement on expenses she put on
our personal credit card

Asked on October 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no hard-and-fast length of time; unless there is an employment contract or other written agreement delineating a period of time for reimbursement, their only obligation is to do so in a "reasonable" time. Several months is  most likely not reasonable; based on what you write, the reimbursement is past due. Unfortunately for you, if they just will not provide it, the only way to force them to provide it is to sue them (e.g. in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se" to save money). Suing an employer is clearly a drastic step: if it's a small amount of money, your wife may wish to effectively "write if off"--if she gets it, grate, but otherwise give up on it, rather then sue. If it's not small amount, if your wife expects or is trying to get a different job, she may wish to wait for a few more months, then sue only after she leaves.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption