Am I allowed to enter my deceased father’s home without the personal rep.’s permission if the estate was left to the 3 children of the deceased?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I allowed to enter my deceased father’s home without the personal rep.’s permission if the estate was left to the 3 children of the deceased?

My sister is the personal representative. The will states that there will be a three-way split of all my fathers assets but she refuses to let us in the house or give us any information regarding what is going on with the estate. She has already removed many things from the home and spent most of the money that was left. What can my brother and I do?

Asked on August 25, 2016 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You and/or your brother can bring a legal action in probate or surrogates court seeking to make her "acount" for her actions as personal representative. If she has not followed the instructions of the will and/or has personally taken money or items to which she is not entitled, a court can order one or more of the following: 1) that she stop doing this and follow the will; 2) that she be replaced as personal representative; 3) that she return any items taken; 4) that she pay out of her own pocket any amounts she took improperly.
Such a legal action is much-more procedurally complex than, say, suing in small claims court for an  unpaid bill or the return of a security deposit or a fender bender; you are advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption