Is there a cost to remove a person’s name off of a mortgage?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a cost to remove a person’s name off of a mortgage?

My fiance’s ex-wife still has his name on the house. He has been out of the house for 7 years and they have been divorced for 3 years. We are trying to find out if she is lying about this just to keep his name on the mortgage because she is afraid if she takes his name off she will lose the house.

Asked on March 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The cost to remove a name from the mortgage would be negligible.  The parties would sign a quitclaim deed in which the property would be transferred to the ex-wife.  The quitclaim deed means that the ex-husband would give up his right, title and interest to the property.  The quitclaim deed has to be signed in the presence of a notary and then recorded.  Recorded means filed with the County Recorder's office.  So, any cost would just be the cost of the notary and the filing fee to file the quitclaim deed with the County Recorder which should be a very small amount.  The notary probably charges ten dollars and the filing fee with the County Recorder's office will also be a small amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption