Is my son responsible for my wrong doing I used his credit cards to gamble

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my son responsible for my wrong doing I used his credit cards to gamble

I used my and my sons cc to gamble and lost everthing, I am disabled, he works and is 30 years old I know i’ve ruined him and his credit, havent paid in 6 months it’s about 80 thousand dollars, is there a way to exhonarate him from this obligation or will he still have to pay, or what happens if we tell them it was all my fault? and will I have to go to jail?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your son did not know that you used his cards, he would not be responsible.  He would claim identity theft, theft, or fraud; something along those lines.  Hard to say without more details.

You, however, would bear criminal responsibility for whatever crimes were charged.

As to whether or not you would go jail to say it's hard to say.  If you have a gambling addiction and this is your first offense, your attorney may be able to work out some form of alternate sentencing but there is no guarantee.

You need to speak with an attorney immediately.  If you can't afford one call the public defender or legal aid in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption