can i get my felony conviction reduced to misdemeanor

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i get my felony conviction reduced to misdemeanor

business consultation.

Pearl Wilson, Criminal Lawyer’s Assistant
Welcome How can I help with your criminal law question?

hello, I live in new hampshire. I have a class A felony for theft over 1500. I was sentenced to probation and have successfully completed. at the time of this conviction I was an active addict. I have done long term treatment and am now in college working towards my bachelors in accounting and business management. this conviction is going to prevent me from getting a good career in my field. I am already 27 and waiting 10 years to get this expunged is a long time. is there any way I could ask for this to be reduced to either a misdemeanor or a class b felony?

Asked on April 11, 2018 under Criminal Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, it cannot be retroactively reduced. The authorities could have let you plead to a lesser offense in the beginning, but once you have been sentenced, the offense cannot be changed. Expungement is your only option at this point.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption