Is my ex-husband protected by bankruptcy laws from complying to with a court order?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my ex-husband protected by bankruptcy laws from complying to with a court order?

My ex-husband filed bankruptcy after we divorced. In our settlement agreement he had agreed to pay off a credit card in the amount of $7000. When he filed bankruptcy the credit card company had a collection company come after me. I agreed to settle the debt which was now $7743 in the amount of $1935.97 to satisfy this debt liability. At that time I did not realize I had to pay tax on the amount that was written off. I later received a bill from the IRS in the amount of $1447.31 that I had to pay. I want to file contempt of court charges to collect both amounts.

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

In order to answer your question, I need to know when your former husband filed for bankruptcy protection. Before the final marital settlement agreement between you and him or afterwards? Also, was his bankrutpcy filing a Chapter 7 filing or a Chapter 13 filing?

There is a big difference between the types of filings and when the bankruptcy was filed.

Spousal and child support obligations are not dischargeable in a bankruptcy filing under section 523(a)(5) of the bankruptcy code.

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy a martial settlement agreement's terms should not be able to be discharged in a bankruptcy, but it is best to file an adversary complaint to guard against such possible discharge.

Potentially obligations in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy can be discharged regarding a marital settlement agreement.

I suggest you consult with a bankruptcy attorney regarding the status of your marital agreement and your former husband's bankruptcy.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption