Is it possible for an adult being charged as a minor to force them to live with their parents if going on juvenile probation?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible for an adult being charged as a minor to force them to live with their parents if going on juvenile probation?

I took my sisters car without permission and without a license as a minor; I have court tomorrow and I am now an adult. Although being charged as a minor, I will most likely be put on juvenile probation. I would like to know if the court can force me to live with my parents?

Asked on November 20, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are now an adult after being charged as a minor for a crime but the charge has not been resolved in the court system, you cannot be ordered to live with your parents if going on juvenile probation at this point.

Possibly the court could order you to pay a fine, jailed, community service work, and you would end up with a permanent criminal record. Another possibility is a fine and probation. If you do not have a criminal defense attorney representing you in this matter, you should retain one. My expereince is that a criminal defense attorney can lessen the ultimate penalty for his or her client after a plea is made.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption