How can I get a person renting a room out within 2 weeks?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a person renting a room out within 2 weeks?

No written lease, did not pay rent, it was a friend renting room in my home, has become belligerent, constantly not following rules set verbally, has children here 24/7 not paying extra (now not paying)

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT that practices in this area.  What you need to do is go to the housing court and ask the clerk to show you how to fill out a Eviction Notice/Notice to Quit Possession.  This document places the tenant on notice that they have to leave.  You must give the tenant 3-5 days depending on the rules in your state.If the tenant fails to move out, then you can bring a summary process/eviction action to have a judge order them out.  this process usually takes 3-4 weeks if there is no contested issues.  Hopefully the notice to quit will get the person out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption