Is it a violation of my constiutional rights if an officer enters my house without permission from me?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it a violation of my constiutional rights if an officer enters my house without permission from me?

I am 17 and was hosting a party we were called in for a noise complaint. There was alcohol; the cops knocked once and we told them to go away that they were not wanted. They then entered my residence without my permission, did not take any of the alcohol, did not give any of the persons 21 or older contributing tickets and or the minors consumption possession or curfew tickets. they did however proceed to give me the only tickets, not even related to the noise complaint. I’m out on bond and this is a violation of my bond and I need to get these tickets thrown out or I will go to prison for 3-4 years.

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wyoming


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Typically the police need a warrant to search your home, but when the police are responding to a criminal matter, they have a right to enter your home for investigative purposes to determine if probable cause exists that a crime has been committed and to make any arrests. Your refusal to let the officers in can also be considered resisting and obstructing a police officer. If the tickets are criminal in nature, then these can play a part in violating your bond because you are to have no contact with the criminal justice system when out on bond. My advice is to consult a criminal defense attorney in your area to seek a positive resolution to this issue and avoid having your bond revoked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption