Is an estate responsible to pay for auto repairs for a car that is part of an estate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an estate responsible to pay for auto repairs for a car that is part of an estate?

My husband’s estate is in probate to be shared with me and my 2 sons. His car is part of the estate and recently needed some repairs. Do I pay the bill since I am

driving it or does the estate pay?

Asked on September 14, 2016 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the estate has not yet been probated and the assets (e.g. the car) distributed, then the estate has to pay for repairs and other upkeep/maintenance. If the car has already been distributed to whomever will receive it, then the person(s) who got the car need to pay. So the issue is of timing. Based on what you write, it seems that probate is not done, and so the estate would pay to maintain and preserve this asset.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption