Upon exit of a rental property, is the landlord legally able to demand that damage monies be paid by a certain date?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Upon exit of a rental property, is the landlord legally able to demand that damage monies be paid by a certain date?

I would like to get my own contractor in there to give an estimate of the work to be done but cannot do so with this 10 day limit they have put on me.

Asked on February 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a landlord can demand that damages caused by a tenant to a rental be paid by the former tenant upon so many days post move out. However, the tenant is under no legal obligation to make the payment for damages in the demanded time period such as the 10 day limit as you have written.

The best way to resolve the problem is to make payments over time in an amount one can afford as to the agreed amount of damages. I suggest that you get an agreement in writing signed by you and the former landlord as to the amount agreed to be paid for damages and the time period for the payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption