Can I still report both accidents to my auto insurance or only the one I file a police report for?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still report both accidents to my auto insurance or only the one I file a police report for?

I was in a car accident about a month ago. However it was a hit and run. The
person hit me on the passenger rear side and and never stopped. I didn’t file
a police report or file a claim because I am on my parents insurance and didn’t
want it to go up. I figured that I would just try and saw money and pay for it
out of pocket. Now, I was just in another accident with my 10 year old son 2 days
ago where a van hit me on the driver side door . This time I called the police
because my parents were upset that I didn’t report if last time and the driver
actually stopped so I was able to get a police report. I want to file a claim
for both but not sure if I can?

Asked on October 30, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file separate claims for the two accidents.
If your parents have uninsured motorist coverage, the hit and run accident claim is filed with their insurance company.
The second accident claim is filed with the at-fault party's insurance carrier.
Insurance premiums increase for various reasons or no reason. Since you were not at fault, the accidents should not be an excuse to increase the premium

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption