What to do about possibleidentity theft charges?

UPDATED: May 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about possibleidentity theft charges?

I had cable, gas and electric in my daughter’s name. She was aware of this. We had a fight and she went to police to an file identity theft report. After the police came and talked to me, I told them she was aware of whose name the utilities were in but I have no proof other than she was at the apartment. Also, there was a witness that heard discussions she and I had about the utilities. She never did turn off the utilities, I called them and had them disconnected after 5 days. All the accounts are paid in full. I do not know if there are charges pending.

Asked on May 31, 2011 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You will know if there is a warrant out for your arrest.  The police will contact you and tell you.  Therefore, the fact that you do not know signifies one of two things:  Either the police have decided not to seek a warrant, or, they are in the process of obtaining one.  I suggest that you consult with a local criminal defense attorney, who will be able to contact law enforcement in order to determine which of the two outcomes is more likely.  In the event that they police are seeking a warrant, your attorney will be able to assist you in turning yourself in, posting a bond, and then developing a defense strategy.  Moreover, in the event that the police are still in the process of obtaining a warrant, your attorney may be able to present evidence to the investigating officer that negates probable cause and thereby prevents you from getting arrested.  Finally, if the investigation is closed, your attorney might be able to find out that information and give you some peace of mind without risking you incriminating yourself.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption