If2 people are in a store and 1 was seen on camera stealing, how can the other person later be charged with conversion?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If2 people are in a store and 1 was seen on camera stealing, how can the other person later be charged with conversion?

The person who was seen on camera is not being charged with anything. She has been a clerk in the city court for many years. She is extremely close with all the judges, lawyers and the prosecutor. They are not doing anything with her. They sent me a summons to appear in court and want me to take a plea of no jail and nothing on my record. I didn’t leave that store with anything. I worked in law enforcement and was fired because of all of this. What are my options?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written it seems as though there is somewhat of a complicated fact pattern that makes answering your question somewhat difficult but I will do my best. If one of the 2 people was charged with the actual theft, but theother person who did not do the stealing but was the accomplice can be charged with "conversion" which is a civil term for unlawfully taking the item after the person who stole it took it.

The reason why the person who may be in a civil matter for conversion but not charged with theft is because that person did not actually steal the item but rather got possession of it after the fact.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about your situation and not be concerned about the other person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption