If I’m 16 and pretend to be 18 to rent a room, what will happen ifI get caught?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 16 and pretend to be 18 to rent a room, what will happen ifI get caught?

Asked on January 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a minor at his or her option can terminate a contract without any recourse as to future obligations under the agreement. In your situation, if you enter into an agreement to rent a room for a certain time period, you can terminate the agreement without being obligated for future rent owed under the agreement.

However, you would be legally obligated for the rent during the time you occupied the rental. The laws are that minors are not deemed legally able to contract, and as a result, minors can avoid future obligations on a contract.

As far as getting caught for being a minor who pretended to rent a room as an adult, I have no idea what the result would be. The landlord is still obligated under the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption