Can my roommate put my fiance and I out without notice if we have only lived for for less than 14 days?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my roommate put my fiance and I out without notice if we have only lived for for less than 14 days?

I would like to know what the rule is for renting a mobile home with a roommate. Because my roommate had told us that since my fiance and I were not there for 14 days straight that she can just put us out and change the locks on us. Is that even possible or are we supposed to receive a 30 day notice?

Asked on January 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you either a tenant of the landlord, or a subtenant of your roomate, with a written lease, you may only be evicted for violating the lease, at the end of the lease term (if the lease is not renewed), or for nonpayment.

If you are tenant or subtenant with an oral lease, your tenancy may be terminated on 30 days notice; if you don't leave then, you could be evicted. (You could also be evicted for lease violations or nonpayment.)

If you are a guest of the tenant, but not a tenant or subtenant yourself (e.g. no lease, whether written or oral; don't pay rent), you may be asked to leave at any time, without notice.

There is no rule about 14 days, whether for tenants or guests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption