IfI own a joint tenancy with my father who died, can someone else take it from me?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI own a joint tenancy with my father who died, can someone else take it from me?

My father and I bought a house and 3 acres together. Joint tenancy is on the deed. Does that mean it’s mine in surviorship?

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As long as the deed clearly indicates that you and your father held title as joint tenats with rights of survivorship (this form of ownership generally can only be created by express agreement), you are now vested with 100% title to the property. In a joint tenancy, co-owners share equal ownership. What this means is that upon the death of a joint tenant, the property automatically passes to the surviving joint tenant(s). The deceased joint tenant's Will (or state intestacy law, if someone dies without a Will) does not control who gets the property.    

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption