Can I purchase a firearm with a felony on my record?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I purchase a firearm with a felony on my record?

I was charged with a felony (aiding and abet a frug transaction) as a juvenile when I was 15; I am now 28. I am wondering if I can own a firearm? If not, what is my likelihood of getting this charge expunged?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is a possibility that given the fact that the felony conviction against you happened when you were a minor years ago, there is a chance that you might be able to expunge the conviction. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney regarding the costs to do such a motion and the chances of success.

As to being able to purchase a firearm as a convicted felon, each states have different laws on the subject ranging from type of felony conviction, age of the conviction and whether you are on probation or not.

I suggest that you contact a criminal defense attorney for an opinion on this subject. Most likely you can since the conviction of the felony happened when you were a minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption