If I live in MT but create an LLC out of state for an online Amazon business, do i qualify as a Foreign Entity?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I live in MT but create an LLC out of state for an online Amazon business, do i qualify as a Foreign Entity?

I will be starting a business on Amazon FBA and creating my LLC in another
state. I will live in Montana, but I will not have a physical store, I will have
no employees, and all my product will be shipped from my supplier directly to
Amazon. From what I have read online, that would not qualify as ‘doing business’
in Montana, but I am trying to cover my bases. Thank you for your time

Asked on October 9, 2019 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are correct. If you do not do any commerce in MT--no store, no production facilities, no employees, no warehousing or fulfillment center, etc.--you are not doing business in MT for purposes of having to register as a foreign corporation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption