If I began the process of purchasing a home on contract but have now been told it is full of black mold, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I began the process of purchasing a home on contract but have now been told it is full of black mold, what are my rights?

I paid the seller $500 earnest money by check and then gave him another check for $5,300 as a downpayment. The seller was supposed to provide a contract for me to sign but as of today there has never been one signed. I have been paying $480 (for the house payment and property taxes) a month for the past 8 months. I found on about a week ago that the home has serious black mold issues. I would like to know what my rights are in this situation? Who is responsible for making the repairs? Can I get my money back?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have yet to acquire legal title to the property that you are writing about and have just discovered that there is a mold issue with it, most likely you can cancel the purchase and get the return of all of your deposits.

I would consult with your real estate agent (if you have one), or better yet, consult with a real estate attorney about this situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption