If a police officer had you take your shoes off during a traffic stop when searching you, what legal action do you have?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a police officer had you take your shoes off during a traffic stop when searching you, what legal action do you have?

I read they only can have you remove your outer clothing coat gloves. Shoes and othet clothing are to be done in a private place such as the police station.

Asked on March 31, 2017 under General Practice, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any effective legal action (though you may file a complaint with their precinct). Other than a complaint, your only recourse would be to sue; but in a lawsuit, the amount of compensation you can get is related to the injury or damage or costs you suffered; the injury, etc. here is so minimal, that the amount you could get would be $0 or close to it; therefore, you'd spend more suing than you'd get.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption