If a deceased person owe’s the Social Security department money, are family members held liable to pay off the remaining debt?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a deceased person owe’s the Social Security department money, are family members held liable to pay off the remaining debt?

My grandfather passed away earlier this year and I just found out that he still owes Social Security about $650 due to over payments that he received over the last 10 years. It orginally was $3000 and he was paying it back slowly. Since he has passed away and still carried this debt, aremy family and I responsible to pay off his debt or can SS count it as a loss since he is gone? What if my family and I can ‘t afford to pay this money to SS, what would happen? Also, the bank won’t close or release the money in his account unless we get clearance from SS, can they do that?

Asked on January 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) You and your family are not personally liable for your grandfather's debt; no person is ever liable for the debts of another, with certain narrow exceptions (e.g. parents of a minor are responsible for valid debts of the minor; there are cases where a spouse ends up responsible, at least to the limit of joint or community property, for her spouse's debts), etc. However, debts of parents and grandparents do not pass down.

2) However, your grandfather's estate--or his remaining money and assets after he passed--is responsible for his debts like this one. Social security is entitled to get its repayment from the estate (e.g. from any bank accounts) before the remaining money is distributed to his heirs. If there's not enough money to cover the debt, the best they can do is get as much as is there. Speak with the bank and social security about how to move this forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption